Are you Resisting Marketing?By Stacey Hylen | Category: Internet Marketing, Lead Story, Marketing, Online Marketing, Strategic Planning
In a recent survey I did, the overwhelming majority of business owners stated they wanted more clients, yet help with marketing and sales was much further down the list. To put this in perspective it is like wanting to lose weight but not eat less or exercise, it doesn’t work. There is no magic pill although people keep looking. Every few years there is a new hot marketing trend that is supposed to be “THE thing” you should do to finally help you get more clients: fax blasts, email, websites, newsletters, and social media. But the problem is that you won’t get results with any of them unless you DO them and have a plan in place.
Here are 7 tips on how to overcome your resistance to doing your marketing.
1. Immerse yourself in the marketing world. Find top experts that are doing a lot of marketing and sign up for their newsletters, follow them on multiple social media sites and go to conferences. My favorite person to model is Dan Kennedy who is the king of direct response marketing. As you watch how top experts are doing, it will rub off on you and seem more normal.
2. Put yourself out there. Tell your list that you will be launching something or to expect a letter or email from you. If you don’t have a list yet then get an accountability partner or coach to hold you to it.
3. Create a plan. When I work with my clients we create a marketing plan for the year so they know exactly what they should do and when. Start with a plan of action for today, the week, the month and take some baby steps. It could be as simple as post on Facebook 5 times a week, comment on one blog post a week and send a newsletter once a month to start.
4. Put your Marketing on Autopilot. Use technology to do the marketing for you. Use autoresponders to send a series of marketing messages automatically to each new prospect that opts in on your website. This is a great way to get more leverage in your business by only having to do the work once and then set it and forget it.
5. Have time set aside each week to do your marketing. Even though marketing is crucial for your business growth it is easy to let it slip through the cracks when you have other demands on your time. Put it on your calendar and if something urgent comes up and you miss your appointment, book another appointment. This should be a non-negotiable part of your week.
6. Find a Way to help your Prospects. Switch your mindset from selling to serving and think of your marketing as a way to help your prospects with whatever they are struggling with. Get clear on your prospects challenges and how your product or service can help them; this will make it much easier to get over your fear or resistance to marketing.
7. Kick your own butt! Find a tool that works for you to get you in what Anthony Robbins calls peak state. Music is especially effective have a go to song to get fired up when you feel yourself resisting doing your marketing. I also like to use the book The War of Art by Steven Pressfield which is on the topic of overcoming resistance. I just read a few pages and off I go into marketing mode.
If you want your business to grow you have to be marketing all the time, so start using these strategies in your business this week.
I would love to hear your comments of how you kick your own butt and get over your resistance to marketing your business. Please leave a comment.Google+